Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Surgery

Some of you may remember about 4 years ago doctors noticed that I had a nodule on my thyroid. I had it biopsied and I was told it was fine and that I should have follow up appointments to watch it. Well, since I am so good at taking care of myself I have just recently gone in for a "follow-up" at my doctors request. Last Friday I had it biopsied again and this time the news was not so good. I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon to get the dreaded results. She told me that my cells did NOT look normal, they were very suspectious and that she wants me to have the noduke removed and probably the whole rightside of my thyroid. There is a 20% chance that it could be cancerous. In the event it is cancerous I will go through radioactive iodine procedures and will be on medicines. It is all overwhelming. I will be meeting with a surgeon to get his/her take on the surgery. I am hoping that I can finish nursing and get through the holidays and birthdays and maybe have the surgery in January. The procedure will leave a scar on my neck, but the recovery time is not that bad. I will only have to spend one night in the hospital. I will give an update as soon as I know more. Until then, Keep me in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment